Publishing: Q4 2019
In 2017, Valour Consultancy published “The Market for In-Flight Connectivity on VIP and Business Aircraft”, a report roundly described as the premier source of information on this quickly growing category. As well as updating on the information contained within the previous iteration, this new expanded edition will – in addition to the always hot-topic of IFC – provide a detailed view of in-flight entertainment (IFE) and cabin management systems (CMS). As such, it has been renamed as “The Market for IFEC and CMS Systems in VVIP and Business Aircraft”.
To ensure that this update covers the most pressing issues, we held scoping calls with numerous key players in the market prior to producing this proposal document. As a result, we’ve decided to slightly modify the way data is segmented. For example, aircraft are now classified into seven distinct categories to better aid decision-making and enable even more accurate market sizing. These categories are: VVIP, large cabin biz jets, super midsize biz jets, midsize biz jets, light biz jets, very light biz jets and turboprops. We also intend to provide – for the larger aircraft categories at least – data on where these aircraft are registered and where they are normally resident.
Additional data segmentations include fitment type, connectivity type and geographic region. Further information on the total addressable market will also be presented, including the age of in-service aircraft and the IFEC systems currently on board. In-depth commentary on market issues, technology trends and the competitive environment is complementary to this data. Also included is an overview of the IFEC ecosystem and detailed profiles of key players in the market.
This forthcoming publication will be a highly focussed report that represents a must-have resource for keeping abreast of IFEC in VVIP and business aircraft. Quantitative and qualitative insight and analysis will be drawn from interviews with key companies in the value chain – many of which are already long-established partners who rely upon our research on IFEC and cabin technology in the closely-related commercial aviation market.
Key questions answered by the report include:
- How many IFC and IFE/CMS systems are installed on VVIP and business aircraft? How will this number grow over the next ten years and why?
- How do installations break down by fitment type, aircraft size and region?
- What is the variation between country of residence and country of registration? What is the effect of relevant country-specific regulations on market growth?
- What does airport infrastructure investment look like in developing regions and which cities/countries – if any – are likely to emerge as important hubs in future?
- What is the installed base of VVIP (converted airliners versus OEM build) and business aircraft and what does annual OEM production look like today and tomorrow?
- What are the age groupings of in-service aircraft and what is the consequential propensity of owners to invest in new technologies?
- How old is currently in-service IFEC equipment? How often are systems replaced/upgraded?
- To what extent does there exist a demand for fully-customised solutions as opposed to more off-the-shelf designs?
- What are the main developments in the antenna market and who are the key companies involved in bringing next-generation solutions to market?
- Which aircraft can accommodate tail-mount antennas? What are the pros and cons of fuselage mount antennas for aesthetically-minded aircraft owners?
- What are different service providers charging for their packages and what is included?
- What is the degree of forward-compatibility with current solutions? How do companies look to mitigate against rapid product obsolescence?
- What are the requirements of aircraft owners / fleet operators? What system features do different passengers use the most? What are end-users looking for from an upgrade?
- How many aircraft are fitted with safety services from Iridium and Inmarsat?
- What are the market shares of service providers and network operators?
- What does the competitive environment look like? Who are the key IFEC hardware vendors, service providers, network operators, OEMs, MROs, completion centres and fleet operators?
- What do the product roadmaps of key companies look like?
- What is the likely impact of new LEO and MEO satellite capacity on service provision? How mature is the requisite enabling hardware?
- What are the IFE and IFE content requirements in VVIP and business aircraft? Is there strong demand for live television, wireless content streaming and OTT services?
- Is there a strong trend for 4K UHD content and if so, in which market segments? What is the demand for early-window and late-window content?
- Which applications are best suited to low-bandwidth solutions? Which new applications will take advantage of new high-bandwidth connectivity?
- To what extent is the Internet of Things (IoT) being embraced? Which connected aircraft applications are being adopted/are likely to be adopted in future?
- What is the current and likely future size of the market for key IFEC hardware in terms of revenues and unit shipments? How are average selling prices trending?
- How does the cost of installation vary for IFEC/CMS systems?
- What are the key drivers of growth? What are the main challenges still to be overcome??